Please complete the application provided below. Thank you!
All applying students and their parents/guardians must read and abide by the provisions and guidelines in the AGREEMENT TO PARTICIPATE.
Please consider the following before completing the application on this page:
West Hawaii Explorations Academy is a unique public educational facility which offers students a challenging curriculum in a project-based setting. While WHEA is a project-based school that offers hands-on learning, there is also a major focus on written work and organizational skills.
High School students self-select projects to join. High School and Middle School students actively investigate science projects and regularly write project-related documents. Students who attend WHEA, therefore, must make good decisions and function at an independent level. Students must also be ready and willing to put significant energy into writing, revising their writings, and organizing all their written work.
WHEA is a challenging school for two main reasons:
1) The curriculum is writing intensive
2) Students are required to work at an independent level without the traditional classroom structures.
Although many students benefit from this curriculum, some students tend to struggle with the independent learning environment.
Characteristics of Successful Students at WHEA
- Motivated, self-directed and takes the initiative
- Interest in Marine or Environmental Science or Energy Related Science
- Accept challenges
- Take responsibility for their own learning
- Ability to plan and regulate their own time
Characteristics of Students Who Struggle at WHEA
- Enroll mainly to avoid another school
- Enrollment based on family desire rather that student desire
- Expect the school to be easy
- Have little or no interest in Science
- Do not take responsibility for their learning (i.e. homework)
- Need to be told what to do and when to do it
Please read the AGREEMENT TO PARTICIPATE prior to submitting your child’s application. Thank you.
An email confirmation will be sent to the email address provided on the application.
If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours, or receive an error message after submitting your form, please contact our office immediately at (808) 327-4751 to confirm that we received your application.